Homeless and abandoned animals each year find a new home through AWL, could you help us?
There are many ways you can donate to AWL and we are grateful for every single donation — no matter how small!
Dog and Cat Food Donations
Donation of Goods to the Thrift Shop
Our mission relies on your donation as 100% of our proceeds go to support animal welfare. Donations can be brought to the rear door of the AWL Thrift Shop, 75 South Main St., Kilmarnock, VA., 22482, Thursday – Saturday from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
What Items can I donate to AWL?
We accept clean, sellable, and working condition items listed below. If you are unsure about acceptance of an item or if you have a large truck load of donations, please call the AWL Thrift Shop, 804.435.0822 and inquire as we have limited space.
- Clothing: women’s, men’s, and children’s in good condition, free of spots, cigarette odors and rips/holes
- Shoes in good condition with no holes, tears or worn soles
- Accessories: handbags, belts, scarves, jewelry
- Toiletries that are unused: perfume, cologne, makeup, etc.
- Holiday decorations (all holidays and at any time) (pre-lit trees must have working lights and fold out branches-no assembly required)
- Fabrics and crafts
- Small furniture in good condition
- Televisions-ONLY FLAT PANEL, working and easy to lift
- DVDs and CDs-(NO cassettes, 8 tracks or VCRs)
- Domestics: sheets, towels, tablecloths, drapes, curtains, shades, etc.
- Collectibles and antiques
- Artwork, framed and unframed
- Household: dishes, pots, pans, serving ware, etc.
- Small electrical: radios, clocks, lamps, appliances (irons, coffee makers, etc.)
What items is AWL unable to accept?
It’s hard to say “no thank you” to a donation. However, if an item is not clean and in sellable condition, the cost of handling and disposal requires use of funds that would otherwise support our mission. We cannot accept certain items including but not limited to:
- Household appliances: stoves, refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers, vacuum cleaners, carpet shampooers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, water heaters, trash compactors, microwaves (large wall mount type) etc.
- Televisions-tube type and audio systems
- Computers, monitors, printers, fax machines or related items
- Building materials: windows, doors, garage doors, shutters, sinks, tubs, toilets, fence parts, gutters, lumber, concrete, bricks, pavers, tiles and flooring, lumber, roofing, drywall, paneling, etc.
- Mattresses and box springs of any size
- Sleep sofas
- Upholstered couches and chairs which are torn, soiled, have cigarette smell or otherwise damaged
- Bed pillows that have been used
- Over-sized furniture of any type: hutches,dining sets, buffets, entertainment units, TV stands, bed frames, etc
- Automobile parts: tires, wheels, batteries, seats, body parts and engines
- Paint and chemicals of any kind
- Kerosene/gas heaters and appliances
- Encyclopedias and textbooks
- Weapons, guns, ammunition, fireworks, explosives, propane tanks, and flammables
- CPSC frequently recalled items: such as Infant furniture, car seats, baby cribs, strollers, carriages, playpens/play yards, children’s items containing lead or phthalates
- Baby nursing equipment, car seats and baby monitors
- Pet beds that are torn, electric fencing material or kits
- Medical equipment: toilet seats, wheelchairs, walkers, crutches
Send monetary donations (checks/no cash) made payable to Animal Welfare League of the Northern Neck, Inc. or AWL and mail to Animal Welfare League, P.O. Box 975, White Stone, VA 22578. The AWL tax ID number is 54-1106959.
Cash donations can also be made in person at the AWL Thrift Shop, 75 South Main Street, Kilmarnock, VA, 22482.
**A financial statement is available upon a written request from the VA Office of Charitable and Regulatory Programs**
Animal Welfare League, P.O. Box 975, White Stone, VA 22578. If you have questions or need assistance on the bequest process you may contact Judy Bright 804-761-1819.
End of life Planning
Please remember all our animal friends in your will and end-of-life planning. Your actions now can provide future benefits to all the animals of the Northern Neck!Here are a few specific things for you to consider:
Make arrangements for someone to take care of your pet(s) when you can no longer do so. Consider providing the financial means for them to do so, if that is appropriate.
Make a bequest to The Animal Welfare League of the Northern Neck, Inc., Box 975, White Stone VA 22578. Funds donated provide for the welfare of animals in the area. If you wish to leave tangible property, please consult with your attorney for the provisions necessary in your will to do so.
Request that memorial donations be made to the Animal Welfare League of the Northern Neck, Inc., in lieu of flowers.
Maximizing Tax Benefits
There are a couple of ways to maximize your tax benefits in donating to the AWL. Consult your tax advisor or attorney for advice and the details on how to handle such donations.
Donate stock that has appreciated in value since you obtained it and you get a tax deduction for the market value by donating the stock directly to the AWL. You avoid selling the stock yourself and paying a tax on the gain.
Donations directly from IRAs to charities are allowed under the tax laws for those who are 70 ½ or older, up to $100,000. Such a gift counts as part of your required minimum distribution. The amount of the gift is excluded from taxable income but also cannot be claimed as a tax deduction.